By Wendy Higgins
Publication date: April 30, 2013
Reviewed from: my own personal copy
Anna, having discovered she is the daughter of an angel and a demon, has been trying to move forward after the disastrous summit in New York City. She has spent the time training her body and mind to be more focused, stronger and able to defend her and others against the Dukes when the time comes. After receiving a prophecy from the nun’s soul who has guarded the Sword of Righteousness her entire life, Anna, with the help of her father, begin to plan and recruit other Nephilim to rise up together to banish the Dukes to heaven or hell.
As her and Kopo go on trips to recruit others to join them, Anna cannot forget Kaidan. She loves him despite knowing that it could get them killed. The book takes Anna through senior year and graduation, when she gets sent to California to tell Blake and Kaidan about what her and her father are trying to do. While there, Anna and Kaidan cannot deny the attraction that has been brewing between them for over two years. Their love is strong enough to last if only the Dukes would not eliminate them before they can make a go at it.
This one is even better than the first! I could not put it down and when I did, I stared longingly waiting patiently to go back to it (between housework like cleaning and cooking it--was torturous having to take breaks). I love the amount of growth that Anna has gone through between the first and second book. She has quickly has become a strong, independent woman who can defend herself but knows that she can depend on her allies—Kaidan, Kopo, her father, Patti, Blake and Marna.
Can I just tell you how much I am thrilled that Harper Teen decided to publish this and the third book, Sweet Reckoning? I was late to the game with Sweet Evil but I would have been devastated if they did not finish the series.
Reader’s Advisory Notes:
- Genre: fantasy, paranormal, romance
- Who might like it: fans of Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush saga; give this to those who are unsure of young adult paranormal/fantasy titles; reluctant readers should gobble this up—well paced and filled with action and romance
- Themes: angels; overcoming-challenges; relationships; first love; death; good versus evil
- Content Concerns: some partying with drinking and drugs; heavy make out sessions and discussions of sex and virginity; violence; vulgar treatment against women/females
- Other Thoughts: I love the tension that Ms. Higgins is building throughout the series. We know that is going to come to a melting point in Book Three, but as to what exactly, we do not know.
My Last Impression:
One of my favorites this year—I will definitely go back and re-read this series at some point. :-)
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment! I read them all and respond to them as soon as I can.